Umow Lai, one of the leaders in Fire Engineering in Australia, possesses a team of highly experienced Fire Engineers who have extensive experience providing practical, integrated and safe design solutions that are cost effective and innovative.
Well respected in the industry, our Fire Engineers have published extensively in peer reviewed international journals and presented at conferences relating to fire safety. Our Fire Engineering Consultants have received awards in the field of fire engineering, and have lectured in post-graduate fire engineering courses.
The firm’s Managing Director, Dominic Lai, led the way in this field, being the first person to be registered as a Fire Engineer in Australia and growing our Victorian office to employ the largest number of Registered Fire Engineers under one roof.
Our Fire Engineers, registered in Victoria, New South Wales and Tasmania, have successfully completed numerous fire engineering studies for major projects spanning a wide spectrum of building types, and possess expertise in flammability testing, smoke detection and behaviour of structural elements in fire conditions.
Areas of Expertise
- Alternative fire-engineering performance-based design
- Qualitative and quantitative fire risk assessments
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) fire modelling
- Smoke flow analysis
- Heat transfer analysis
- Occupant evacuation simulation
- Structural behaviour analysis
- Investigation of Fire Safety issues
- Fire Safety Audits
- Development of fire safety strategy and management plan
- Undertake collaborative research projects related to fire safety