Location: Fitzroy, Melbourne
Client: Australian Catholic University (ACU)
Architect: Woods Bagot
Ratings: 6 Star Green Star Education v1.0
Another Umow Lai project, The Daniel Mannix Building, achieves 6 Star Green Star rating.
Having already achieved a 6 Star Green Star design rating, The Australian Catholic University’s new Daniel Mannix Building in Fitzroy is now being submitted to achieve the same score for the Green Star As-Built Rating.
Completed in September 2012, the new building houses the University’s health and wellbeing disciplines such as exercise science, nursing and psychology, among others.
The design of the Daniel Mannix building encompasses a range of ESD initiatives including:-
- Increased floor to ceiling heights and a central atrium providing a high level of natural day lighting into the occupied spaces
- A facade integrated outside air intake system and underfloor air distribution (UFAD) system maximising the internal environmental quality.
- Exposed concrete active mass cooling system providing a stable and reliable internal temperature control
- Rain water recycling system providing reduced and sustainable water usage to the buildings sanitary facilities
- Renewable energy technologies such as solar boosted hot water and wind turbine electrical generation that assist in the reduction of carbon dioxide.
“Through one of the hottest summers (2013) that Melbourne has experienced since records began, the Daniel Mannix, through its inherent ESD features, has maintained excellent temperature and comfort conditions throughout this period,” noted Chris Grafton-White, a senior Mechanical Engineer with Umow Lai involved with the project.
The building is named after Daniel Mannix, Archbishop of Melbourne from 1917-1963 and one of the 20th century’s most influential figures in Australian public life.
The collaboration between Umow Lai, Woods Bagot and other design team members helped the Daniel Mannix building to be awarded the prestigious rating of 6 Stars for the Green Star design education tool rating.
This was one of the first major projects that Umow Lai worked with the ACU. The firm recently completed the refurbishment and upgrade of their new library and central plant on their main campus building at 115 Victoria Parade.