|Achieving a 6 Star Green Star – Education As Built v1 Certified Rating has elevated the Australian Catholic University‘s Daniel Mannix Building into the distinguished class: a ‘World Leadership’ in environmentally sustainable construction. The award, announced in early 2016 from the Green Building Council of Australia, compliments the 6 Star Green Star Design Rating received in 2013.The achievements are fitting for the building that is the centrepiece of the University’s St Patrick’s Campus in Melbourne, one of Australia’s premier buildings for teaching, research and learning. It is designed for low environmental impacts and for high levels of comfort and wellbeing for everyone who uses it.Evidence of sustainable features can be seen throughout the building. Increased floor to ceiling heights and a central atrium provide a high level of natural day lighting into the occupied spaces. The facade integrates outside air intake system and underfloor air distribution (UFAD) system, maximising the internal environmental quality and renewable energy technologies, such as solar boosted hot water and wind turbine electrical generation, assist in the reduction of carbon dioxide.
Students have access to a new University Chapel, a 300-seat lecture theatre, specialist facilities, computer labs, fitness centre and a roof-top garden.
“Through one of the hottest summers (2013) that Melbourne has experienced since records began, the Daniel Mannix, through its inherent ESD features, has maintained excellent temperature and comfort conditions throughout this period,”
noted Chris Grafton-White, Senior Mechanical Engineer and Associate with Umow Lai.
In acknowledgement to the history of the Catholic Church, the building is named after Daniel Mannix, one of the most influential and arguably controversial figures in 20th century Australian public life, and the Archbishop of Melbourne for 46 years from 1917-1963.
Umow Lai has been associated with this project since 2009 when the Australian Catholic University engaged the consultancy to provide a full range of engineering and sustainability services, which they continued until the official opening of the building in 2012.